Monday, February 14, 2011

The bug....

It's been a rough two weeks for us.  Tim got home from a trip in DC on the 30th and started to get sick (which is pretty normal for him considering he has the worst immune system I've ever seen in an adult).  And this is when all hell broke loose...

It started for him with sinus-like symptoms. He had the typical sinus headaches, stuffiness, pressure in his face/around his eyes, couch, drainage, etc.  And on or around the 5th day, he even had a fever on and off for about 24 hours of up to 102ish.  He was sick through his birthday....for about 8 days until he finally decided to go to the doctor for some meds.  He was pretty much confined to the bedroom and taking every medicine possible for every symptom he was having.  This was what Tim's side of the sink looked like for a week...

(This wasnt even including his meds he got from the doctor)

About 6 days into his sickness, I started getting symptoms.  I figured I'd fight it off as I have a pretty great immune system and havent been sick for decades.  Nope, not so much. On the day he went to the doctor, I started to get real bad and requested a z-pak as well.  About the 3rd day into my sickness (and on the last day of my z-pak) I felt like death. I had a fever of 102.3 and the drainage into my throat was killing me. It was burning so bad I couldnt drink water. A quick overdose on Tylenol got my fever to go away and a quick cat nap with Cooper made me feel a whole lot better. 

Then what I dreaded happened :(  Taylor got it.  Friday morning, Taylor woke up refused her banana and orange juice, which is just unheard of in this household.  I should have known something was wrong.  So I left her be and she laid on the couch watching toons, which is what she normally does every morning waking up anyway.  And she was whiney, which is normal as well.  Then I decided to check her temp and sure enough, she was up to 101.8.  And had a slight cough.  So I dosed her up on Tylenol and called off the playdate we had scheduled with her friend Reid.  She spent a few hours getting worse and worse.  I called the doctor and scheduled an appointment for 2:45.  By 2, her temp had reached 104 and tylenol wasnt touching it.  So we rushed her in.  Doctor looked at her and said it was probably what we had and to let it run its course and to keep meds in her to get her temp down.  All weekend, she was a constant 102-104 temp and was barely conscious but a few hours each day.  She wouldnt eat or drink anything and even cold baths/washcloths werent helping.  I was starting to get worried and had decided I was going to take her to the ER Sunday morning if she was still that feverish/lethargic. Then early Sunday morning around 4am her temp FINALLY broke.  Since then, she's been a consistent 99-100 which I figure she'll continue to be til she kicks this virus. Her cough is still really bad, but at least she's up playing (in small spurts here and there), eating small things, and drinking juices and water. 

I'm still coughing up stuff from my lungs, mostly at night.  Tim's still not 100% and complains daily of a sinus headache.  And Taylor's, of course, fighting whatever this is.  Cooper has a slight cough, but only coughs a total of 3 times a day and hasnt had a fever yet.  And I'm praying and hoping and praying Cooper doesnt get it next.  I figured since Taylor got it, he'd get it for sure.  But so far, so good.  But we'll see.

But I wanted to update everyone and tell them we're all okay, we're not technically dying (though it sure feels like it at times) and hopefully in a few weeks this'll all be behind us and warm weather will be on its way.  It's been 60 the past two days and Taylor is going nuts to get outside.  I took her for a walk around the block in the stroller yesterday and that helped, but she wants to get out so bad.  She's already begging to go to school tomorrow, which I'm sure probably wont be happening.  :(    

No comments:

Post a Comment