After much thinking, Tim and I came to the conclusion that when I dont eat ANYTHING and breastfeed Cooper is when he doesnt have any reflux. And he's a happy baby during those times. Cooing, laughing, playing, smiling, and just being....without tears :)
I noticed that when I was feeding him at night, he wasnt having reflux and was sleeping longer/more soundly. I realized it was because I wasnt eating at night. So the next day, I decided not to eat anything and see if that worked and sure enough, all was fine...happy baby. Then I ate a granola bar and drank a glass of water and bam, next feeding he had reflux. So if I dont eat anything, my kid will be okay. Okay, simple enough...except for the fact that I have to eat to survive. Ugh. So back to formula feeding during the day and me eating more than a granola bar.
I've put in a few calls to the dr (shes not working this week) but I have a feeling she still wont give us the prevacid. I want Cooper to be breastfed for the mere fact that he is more satisfied and sleeps better on the breastmilk, otherwise I would just go to formula altogether and be done with it. So I need him to be on the prevacid so we can do that. Even if I watch very carefully what I'm eating and not eating, he's still having bad reflux. The acid in his body is so bad that his butt is raw from pooing out all the acid!
We dont go back to see the doctor til the 29th and I think I've found a system that is working, for the most part. I breastfeed Cooper at night (since I'm not eating at night, and he does well and sleeps better on the breastmilk) and formula feed him during the day. This has brought his episodes down to 1-3 per day (usually during the formula feeds), which is better than the all-day fits he was having. He's still in pain during those fits, but we work through them. And on the 29th if he's still having problems, I'm demanding she put him on prevacid immediately and I will go back to nursing full time. Until then, let's hope something starts to work.
Aww poor little guy. Can't wait to see some pictures of him!
ReplyDelete