Monday, May 23, 2011

1 down, 1 to go

........I've been dying to post this, but I wanted to wait until I knew we were officially in the clear......and it's been 10 whole days now......

TAYLOR IS FINALLLLLLLLY POTTY TRAINED!


You parents can understand my excitement! 

A few months ago, I realized that it was time to start potty training Taylor. We had been putting her on the potty here and there and she'd gone a few times, but nothing serious.  So we ran out, bought a potty chair, some undies and tried the switch.  She was NOT having it. She was not interested in sitting on her little potty at all.  She'd sat a few times here and there, but did not like it.  When I put undies on her, she'd just pee in em and keep playing like nothing ever happened.  And for the life of me, putting her on the potty every 20 minutes was not working like most parents say it does.  I tried everything!!  Sticker charts, candy incentives, time-outs (this worked for the poop), timed potty breaks, letting her run naked.  Everything.  We even went back to the store, bought a Dora potty seat that sits on the big toilet. And NOTHING was working.  So I just figured I'd be one of the few who has a 3 year old in diapers.....ugh. So we put away the potty chair and undies and continued our journey through her birthday in diapers.  Then I vowed to her teachers that my goal for the summer was to get her potty trained. I was planning to devote the entire summer to it.....even if it killed me.  I dont care if she was ready or not, I was not letting her start 3 year old class next year in diapers. 

                                    
So on the first day of summer, May 13, I decided to start our potty training adventure.  All it took was a brief talk about not peeing in her undies, how important it was to pee in the potty, etc etc important potty business etc etc....put her in some big girl undies ...and she started going!  And better yet, TELLING ME SHE HAD TO GO!   It's been 10 days and we've only had maybe a handful of accidents and most being in the beginning of the 10 days.  And in those 10 days she's also converted from using the Dora seat to now using the normal toilet.  Taylor's been able to poop on the potty for about a month now (I know, she backwards potty trained....who'd have thunk it).  But now, we are officially out of diapers (except the pullup to bed routine....we'll worry about the night time business later, baby steps people, baby steps!). Right now, she still needs to tell us she has to go, and we still go in the bathroom with her and wipe her.  But its waaaaaay less time/hassle to do that than change a diaper! And she even does well in public!!


So that's 1 down.......1 to go (yes, he's only 6 months old, but I'm counting down til he's potty trained).....



1 comment: